REFLECTOR:Gear Speed

John Dibble reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 21:25:13 -0600

--------------010302050306090201070105

Dave,
Thanks for your comments.  Since I can not see the nose wheel in flight,
I can't know whether the gear came down and failed to lock, or did not
come down at all.  Because it goes down and locks on the ground, I tend
to think that if the wheel came down in flight then it should have
locked as the extra force of the air would have assisted the extension
procedure.  Therefore I think that the doors were held closed by the air
pressure and the wheel did not drop down at all.  I plan to test this
idea on the ground.

John

Dave Black wrote:

> [...]
>>with the plan to lower my gear at the first sign of low
>>voltage (alternator failure).
>>

>Just to clarify, we are dealing with two entirely different nose gear failure
>modes here:
>
>1) Scott's gear got hung up on the top of the very guide intended to prevent
>such a problem. This demonstrates how important it is that guides be tall
>enough to prevent any part of the nose wheel assembly getting stuck, even if
>the gear over retracts. Because once the nose gear is stuck in the UP
>position, there's virtually no way to reliably get it down while in flight.
>I'd try some extreme maneuvers (zero G, high G, rudder waggling), and I'd
>repeatedly extend and retract the gear in the hope the nose gear might become
>dislodged. But I'd also make preparation for a mains only landing. For the
>purpose of minimizing damage, CG should be shifted to the aft limit of the
>envelope. This means your passenger should move to the back seat.
>
>2) Your problem was the failure of the free-fall gear extension procedure.
>Your gear extended OK, but not to the point of being locked. In the past, this
>has usually been traced to a loss of pressure in the air strut. When the
>hydraulics are working, they PUSH the nose gear all the way to the end of its
>travel. They also act in concert with the overcenter linkage to hold the gear
>down. But without the hydraulics, the gear falls into position by gravity
>only, and the final kick must be given by the air strut.
>
>However, air loads could easily overcome the ability of a weak strut to push
>the linkage overcenter. Should this happen, a slow speed dive with abrupt
>pull-up could well give the gear the push it needs to go overcenter and lock.
>Once locked, I'd recommend switching the dump valve back to the normal
>position so the hydraulics can help hold the nose gear down.
>
>Of course, it's better to change or at least check the air strut annually so
>you know it'll be able to push the linkage overcenter. It might be wise to
>test the manual dump procedure in the air periodically to ensure the air strut
>can still do its job.
>
>No matter how you slice it, that nose gear air strut is a weak link that has
>been the cause of many incidents. You may remember the discussions of keeping
>a special dowel in the cockpit to hold the linkage overcenter after manual
>extension. That's because if the air strut is a little weak, it alone may not
>be sufficient to keep the linkage overcenter during a landing. That same dowel
><might> be useful in pushing the linkage overcenter in a situation like yours.
>
>But the whole dowel idea is merely a Band-Aid for a deficiency in the gear
>extension system. The main gear used to have air struts as well, but after a
>series of main gear collapses the struts were replaced by springs and an
>ingenious downlock system added. I'd be a lot happier if the nose gear strut
>were replaced (or at least assisted) by a spring also.

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Dave,<br>
Thanks for your comments.&nbsp; Since I can not see the nose wheel in
flight, I can't know whether the gear came down and failed to lock, or
did not come down at all.&nbsp; Because it goes down and locks on the
ground, I tend to think that if the wheel came down in flight then it
should have locked as the extra force of the air would have assisted
the extension procedure.&nbsp; Therefore I think that the doors were held
closed by the air pressure and the wheel did not drop down at all.&nbsp; I
plan to test this idea on the ground.<br>
John<br>
Dave Black wrote:<br>
  <pre wrap="">John,

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">On the ground (up on blocks) it works fine.  In the air when I
[...]

&lt;might&gt; be useful in pushing the linkage overcenter in a situation like yours.