REFLECTOR:Gear Speed

John Dibble reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 18:10:03 -0600

--------------010208030803090903060401

Scott,
On the ground (up on blocks) it works fine.  In the air when I had a
dead battery, I was unable to get the nose down and locked.  My guess is
that the door springs are not strong enough to overcome the air pressure
on the doors when flying.  I plan to see if I can duplicate this
condition on the ground.  Until then I monitor my electrical system
frequently with the plan to lower my gear at the first sign of low
voltage (alternator failure).

John

Scott Baker wrote:

>John,
>What have you found wrong with the emergency gear-extension procedure?
>Scott B.

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Scott,<br>
On the ground (up on blocks) it works fine.&nbsp; In the air when I had a
dead battery, I was unable to get the nose down and locked.&nbsp; My guess
is that the door springs are not strong enough to overcome the air
pressure on the doors when flying.&nbsp; I plan to see if I can duplicate
this condition on the ground.&nbsp; Until then I monitor my electrical
system frequently with the plan to lower my gear at the first sign of
low voltage (alternator failure).<br>
John<br>
Scott Baker wrote:<br>
  <pre wrap="">John,
What have you found wrong with the emergency gear-extension procedure?
Scott B.

Welcome to the club.  I did the same thing 6 months ago.  Clearly the
emergency gear down procedure is flawed and finding a fix is on my long
list of to-dos.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->