REFLECTOR:Cowl Fasteners

Donald Royer reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:43:26 -0700

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

I have just now gotten around to looking at the thread on cowl fasteners.. These are the fasteners that I have been living with for years on my Mooney. I would not think of using them on my Velocity.They are not secure enough.. A regular item on the Mooney's annual is replacing the two or three CamLocs that have departed during the year. This is no big deal on the Mooney, but it would be a big deal on the Velocity.
They might be OK for a while, but when they get a little worn or loose they will occasionally pop open of their own accord. Especially when they get a little bent or misaligned it is sometimes difficult to give them a full 90 degree twist to seat them properly, and if they are not seated properly they will work loose.

I have used plain screws on my cowl. They are more trouble to get on and off, but they are much more secure.

Donald Royer
------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

<HTML style="FONT-SIZE: x-small; FONT-FAMILY: MS Sans Serif"><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1251">
<META content="MSHTML 5.50.4522.1800" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<P>
<DIV>I have just now gotten around to looking&nbsp;at the thread on cowl fasteners.. These are the fasteners that I have been living with for years on my Mooney. I would not think of using them on my Velocity.They are not secure enough.. A regular item on the Mooney's annual is replacing the two or&nbsp;three CamLocs that have departed during the year. This is no big deal on the Mooney, but it would be a big deal on the Velocity.</DIV>
<DIV>They might be OK for a while, but when they get a little worn or loose they will occasionally pop open of their own accord. Especially when they get a little bent or misaligned it is sometimes difficult to give them a full 90 degree twist to seat them properly, and if they are not seated properly they will work loose.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I have used plain screws on my cowl. They are more trouble to get on and off, but they are much more secure.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Donald Royer</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>