REFLECTOR:Starting an argument

Jim Sower reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:58:56 -0600

<... I can't recall too many accident reports listing "poor access to throttle,
mixture, or prop controls" as a contributor to accidents in Experimental aircraft ...>

It seems to me that "... poor access ... contributing cause ..." would HAVE to
presuppose a seriously disabled or profoundly incompetent pilot in the left seat.  I
don't know of this ever occurring in the homebuilt community (it would be nit picking
to describe Denver in those terms :o).  I am OK assuming that it has happened
sometime, somewhere in GA, etc (like Doris Day or whoever recovering that 747 in the
movie).

My own reality is that if my wife or the vast majority of other right seat occupants
in my Velocity worked really REALLY hard, they could become "... very marginal ..."
pilots.  In the event of my untimely demise, they could not benefit much from access
to mixture or gear handle or probably transmit capability.  They would have easy
access to the stick, adequate access to the mag switches and maybe a streeeeetched one
or possibly two throttle adjustment(s)  at some distance from the landing site.  They
could shut the engine down close to the runway and a gear up landing is very much in
their best interest (far and away the shortest stopping distance).

Squawk mayday, look at the GPS, steer as best they can to the best prepared surface
they can find, turn off the motor and crash as gently as possible.

Don't know how much more I could ask .... Jim S.

PS
<... I were an instructor teaching a primary student in a Velocity ...>
Don't know exactly what you mean by "primary" student, but I would NEVER put an
unlicensed pilot in the left seat of MY Velocity.  Not for love nor money.  And the
licensed guys would be VERY well briefed and adequately experienced in other
airplanes.  I would do instruments or commercial training with just the stick and
switch since I'm confident I could recover just fine that way if the student stroked
out (I could find a knee board or pencil or flashlight or something to lower the gear
:o).