REFLECTOR:Starting an argument

Scott Baker reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 18:46:28 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott" <scott@tnstaafl.net>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 6:17 PM
Subject: RE: Dual Throttles: Re: REFLECTOR:Slaved Throttle Quads

> I agree, just a dual throttle would get you most of the way for emergency
> flying.
>
> Every spam can I have flown has the throttle, mixture, prop, gear, flaps,
> trim and yoke within  easy distance from either left or right,  with the
> left having the easiest access.
>
> I think the control placement of experimental's that don't do this
> contribute to the poor safety record we are known for.

Scott,
I know about the John Denver "can't reach the fuel selector valve" placement
accident - but I can't recall too many accident reports listing "poor access
to throttle, mixture, or prop controls" as a contributor to accidents in
Experimental aircraft.  Centered (shared - easy access to the copilot)
controls are logical - but I don't think they are significant to the
operating safety of Velocity aircraft.  What concerns there are, are almost
fully (what's the word ...) mitigated by adding a second throttle on the
copilot side.  The cabin width is such (even though it's a pain in the rear
to do this on a regular basis) that either pilot can reach across the
instrument panel to operate controls and switches.  If I were an instructor
teaching a primary student in a Velocity, I would want full and easy to
reach flight and engine controls.  This situation, as you can imagine,
doesn't often come about.  I'd have no problem teaching instrument or
commercial training with just the throttle on the right side.
Warmest holiday greetings!
Scott B.