REFLECTOR:VG's on my XL results

Scott reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 20:44:52 -0700

Rodney,

These were installed on an XL?

>1. Stall speed decreased 4kts

I'd say I got a good solid 5 but it could have been 4.

>2. Cruise speed decreased 3kts

I couldn't measure the loss, so I WAGed a 1 knot loss, I had to lose some
right?

>3. Control at approach speeds improved.

Mine too

>4. Nose drops on landing more abruptly when the lift finally gives away.

Yep

>5. Lift on the canard was noticeably increased during cruise.

I didn't have any noticeable lift increase in cruise?

>6. Decrease in take-off roll was 7% above what I got with the trailing edge
>fences (from 15% up to 22% or thereabouts).

I'd say mine was reduced by as much as 15%, maybe more.

high fields all the time, I would add them back.  I was/am still looking for
>the magical 200kt cruise speed

Ain't we all!

I wonder if you might have gotten the VG's on the
Canard,  miss-located?   Which would explain the speed loss in cruise and
the increased lift in cruise.

Scott