REFLECTOR:Leading edge tape, Re::Catto prop incident ....

Jim Sower reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 09 Dec 2003 22:58:26 -0600

Scott wrote:

> Hay I just though of something..
>
> I don't have leading edge protective tape on my prop??

GET SOME !!!  IT'S FOR REAL!!.  I got some after I flew through a rainstorm without
slowing down (A/C or engine) and the outboard leading edges of my prop were eroded to
where it worried me.  Craig fixed the prop free and I sent him the tape.  Guy at Rough
River saw it and said "... there's a three knot penalty right there ...".  Craig said
that's total bullshit and he's had guys test carefully for exactly that and nobody's
found any difference.  That's all I know.  I'm keeping it in.  Like I said, it's my
considered opinion that the damage would have been substantially worse if I hadn't had
tape.

> What did you use Jim?

It's called "propguard" and it is basically a very special 3" wide tape you install on
the prop leading edge. It costs 59.95 for enough to do your three blade (they give you
way more than you need for a 2 blade) and they have a website: www.propguard.com ....
This is text from the message I followed up on ....

Jim Sower
Crossville, TN; Chapter 5
Long-EZ N83RT, Velocity N4095T