REFLECTOR:Things gong throught the prop

Jim Sower reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 09 Dec 2003 22:47:18 -0600

The screws, nuts, bolts, etc. won't hurt a Catto at all.  Even if the screen came off
and went through the prop, it wouldn't even notice.  We're talking NO damage with an
exhaust pipe, manageable damage from a lower cowl.  Yeah, I would guess that a screen
would be more trouble than it's worth.  That said, folks who use other props need to
ignore my experience altogether and carefully evaluate the damage absorption
attributes of their props (to the extent that credible data is available).  Might even
want prop manufacturers to tell you to what extent they've tested throwing trash
through the prop.

Anyway, I'm pretty well sold on lashing down exhaust pipes ... Jim S.

PS  Would some of you folks with O-/IO-360s please let me know (off line) if you've
had NO trouble fitting exhaust flanges to the studs, and you think it's just my luck
or my engine that's screwed up.  Thanks.