REFLECTOR:Vortex Generators on XL

Jim Sower reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 07 Dec 2003 00:03:35 -0600

--------------FB45EB09DB1F9968A8B16575

Keith,
Parallel VGs on the main wing makes a lot of sense.  I would
intuit that a little angle (in a direction that would deflect
airflow toward the root) would be nice since it would generate
*something* at cruise and keep the flow attached (haven't
thought it through enough to explain why this might be important
:o).  Closer spacing of the main wing VGs might also help.  I'll
run it by Jim P.  I'm also toying with the idea of bracketing
the ailerons with fences ala' Vari-EZ.  Might help with low
speed roll authority, and gawd knows we need all the help we can
get in that department.
Something to ponder ... Jim S.

KeithHallsten wrote:

> Scott,...snip ... he recommended that the "crowfoot" pattern
> of VG placement be used on the canard, since it has no sweep,
> and a little slip couldn't  dramatically change the effect of
> the VGs if each pair worked either way.  However, he suggested
> placing the VG's on each swept main wing all parallel to each
> other in such a way as to "trip" the spanwise flow at low
> airspeeds and high angles of attack, while being nearly
> parallel to the flow at high airspeeds.  ... snip ... Keith
> Hallsten

--------------FB45EB09DB1F9968A8B16575

Keith,
that a <b>little</b> angle (in a direction that would deflect airflow toward
the root) would be nice since it would generate *something* at cruise and
keep the flow attached (haven't thought it through enough to explain why
this might be important :o).&nbsp; Closer spacing of the main wing VGs
might also help.&nbsp; I'll run it by Jim P.&nbsp; I'm also toying with
the idea of bracketing the ailerons with fences ala' Vari-EZ.&nbsp; Might
help with low speed roll authority, and gawd knows we need all the help
we can get in that department.
.... he recommended that the "crowfoot" pattern of VG placement be used
on the canard, since it has no sweep, and a little slip couldn't&nbsp;
dramatically change the effect of the VGs if each pair worked either way.&nbsp;