REFLECTOR:Vortex Generators on XL

Alex Balic reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 06 Dec 2003 12:15:04 -0600

--Boundary_(ID_LNTUdU5skoX1dzhyX/X9Eg)

Jim,
I used the more simple term of "sticking" instead of "delayed separation of
laminar flow" because I don't want to write a thesis on laminar flow
properties on the reflector, and a lot of the readers here may no be
familiar with some of  the the technical terms of fluid dynamics. I agree,
the decision to install or not to install VGs should be thoroughly simulated
and tested before installation. It appears that you have done that. Just
FYI, vortex generators are installed to promote laminar flow, and thereby DO
generally allow a given airfoil section to operate at a higher angle of
attack. This is precisely the effect that allows for a lowered stall speed,
because the wing can fly at a higher angle of attack.  I personally do not
know how much laminar flow the canard is designed to "tolerate", (although I
would assume that it is published under the airfoil number) and that is why
I personally would not alter the flow  there withought a through simulation
of the modification.  During my undergraduate studies of this subject, we
tested several laminar flow promoting techniques, most notably vortex
generating devises, both passive and active. Sometimes the flow
modifications that resulted from these modifications were unexpected,
including some premature separation of flow in some airfoils at various
angles of attack.  There are so many variables involved in the design of
VG's that make their effects extremely difficult to quantify in terms of
generalities except to say that generally they promote laminar flow. For all
I know, the Swings just started adding and moving VGs  around until the
aircraft flew the way they wanted, I can not answer that question, like you,
I am not informed on their testing procedures.  I am not saying that you did
anything wrong by installing VG's to your canard,  as you probably know, the
Starship uses them, but I am certain that the airfoil design on that
aircraft was  computer simulated before any actual flight testing, and that
you should not assume that they will have an identical effect on both the
main wing and the canard without such testing. Maybe your particular
arrangement will greatly enhance the low speed handling and lower the stall
speed of the Velocity, I hope it does, please keep us informed.
Alex