REFLECTOR: Ordering an MT Prop

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 11:13:50 EST

-------------------------------1070554430

In a message dated 12/3/2003 4:34:48 PM Pacific Standard Time,
sbakr@comcast.net writes:
Doug,
Before I forget, if you are operating a Lycoming IO-360C1C or other Lycoming
non-counterweighted crank shaft engine, the MT-Propeller(s) for this
application have certain operational rpm restrictions that need to be followed.
Being the one who brought this RPM restriction range for non-counterweighted
engines "out of the closet," I have had first hand experience with the blade
cracking, and open to options.  My hanger neighbor (Don) is building a Cozy 4,
with a non-counterweighted Lyc. He had an mt ordered through Velocity.  Yes,
he checked and Velocity was the best provider he could find.  However, when he
learned of the restricted range, he investigated other options.  A fellow at
our airport has a Defiant, with Hoffmans on it.  Don contacted Hoffman who said
they could provide a propeller without a restricted range for the
non-counterweighted engines, so he ordered one.  He said Velocity was very accommodating
on canceling the mt order.  However, the cost is going to be about $2,000 more
than the mt from Velocity.  I don't really think this is the direction we
want to go.

Maybe Scott Baker has some info regarding pros & cons of the Hoffman, other
than the price.

TEC

-------------------------------1070554430

<HTML><HEAD>
<META charset=3DUTF-8 http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charse=
t=3Dutf-8">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1106" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>
<DIV>In a message dated 12/3/2003 4:34:48 PM Pacific Standard Time, sbakr@co=
mcast.net writes:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: blue=20=
2px solid">
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Doug,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Before I forget, if you are operating a Lyc=
oming IO-360C1C or other Lycoming non-counterweighted crank shaft engine, th=
e MT-Propeller(s) for this application have certain operational rpm restrict=
ions that need to be followed.</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV>
<DIV>Being the one who brought this RPM restriction range for non-counterwei=
ghted engines "out of the closet," I have had first hand experience with the=
 blade cracking, and open to options.&nbsp; My hanger neighbor (Don) is buil=
ding a Cozy 4, with a non-counterweighted Lyc.&nbsp;He had an mt ordered thr=
ough Velocity.&nbsp; Yes, he checked and Velocity was the best provider he c=
ould find.&nbsp; However, when he learned of the restricted range, he invest=
igated other options.&nbsp; A fellow at our airport has a Defiant, with Hoff=
mans on it.&nbsp;&nbsp;Don contacted&nbsp;Hoffman who said they could provid=
e a propeller without a restricted range for the non-counterweighted engines=
, so he ordered one.&nbsp; He said Velocity was very accommodating on cancel=
ing the mt order.&nbsp; However, the cost is going to be about $2,000 more t=
han the mt from Velocity.&nbsp; I don't really think this is the direction w=
e&nbsp;want to go.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Maybe Scott Baker has some info regarding pros &amp; cons of the Hoffma=
n, other than the price.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>TEC&nbsp; </DIV></BODY></HTML>