REFLECTOR:Leading Edge Tape

John Dibble reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 03 Dec 2003 21:03:22 -0600

Thanks Alex,

My IVO prop has a gel coat finish.  Is that what you refer to as paint?
IVO recommends using MEK solvent, or acetone followed by alcohol.  I
think PVC cleaner works best.  After a few more phone calls I learned
that Valley Industrial Products, who makes the ss tape sold by JC
Whitney, has changed adhesives a month ago.  I'm not sure if my current
order will be the new or old adhesive.  IVO plans to evaluate the new
tape.  In the meantime I will try the JC Whitney tape as the 1.5 mil
tape is tearing off in spots.
I asked IVO about "Prop-Guard", a poylurethane tape (from one of the
links Scott sent).  IVO is concerned about water getting under this
tape, but said I could use it over the ss tape.  The Prop-Guard rep says
it's only used on aluminum props, but there is one IVO/Rotax user.

John