REFLECTOR:Vortex Generators on XL

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 11:18:31 -0500

Works Great, feels Good.  Well, actually I don't know how they work or it
feels without 'em but the concensus seems to be unanimous that, as Martha
says, "they are a good thing."

When I put my replaced all of my VGs a couple months ago, I did make one
change that I'd highly recommend.  The VGs came from Velocity (about $0.10
each---shipping was almost as much as the VGs)and have a "rounded" leading
edge on the sail.  In the past, when I wiped the wing down, the rag would
always snag on the trailing edge of the VG because it was a sharp 90 degree
edge.  I took a nippers and cut off the trailing corner at a 45 degree
angle, then used a flapper wheel grinder to smooth the  corners.  The end
result was the trailing edge had almost an identical rounded contour to the
leading edge of the sail.  Viola!!  No rag snagging and resulting breakage
and knocking off of the VG.

Paint first (UV protection), install with a dab of silastic and you're good
to go for 2-3 years...at least.  A detail; to cut down on the mess, I
applied the silastic to the bottom of the VG (after running it across
sandpaper to impart some "tooth" on the bottom) with a straight bladed
tweaker screwdriver (kind of like buttering a brick), then put the VG in the
same pattern as original and pushed down firmly.

Let set for about 30 minutes and use a fingernail cuticle stick (sharp and
semi-hard but won't scratch paint) to remove excess silastic that squeezes
out.  Then, use mineral oil with a Q-tip to swab around the VG.  The mineral
oil will dilute any smeared residual silastic.  After drying for 24 hours,
wipe the dried mineral oil off with a clean rage and you are good to go!!!

Chuck Jensen