REFLECTOR:Southwest Regional Fly-in

Christopher Barber reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 11:56:49 -0500

Ok, just heard some info about the Southwest Regional Fly-in
(SWRFI..."swerfy") on May 17 - 18.  In the recent past this event was in
Abilene, Texas during the fall and was not the most attended event (nothing
against Abilene, but I have no desire to go there).  Before Abilene it was
in Kerrville and was a pretty good event from what I am told.  However, in
Abilene it only had about 20 venders attend.

Ok, here is the good part.  The SWRFI has been moved to the spring and is
now in New Braunfels, Texas.  Unlike Abilene, IMHO, New Braunfels is a
excellent destination even without an fly-in/air show.  Pres. Bush keeps
coming to Crawford in the area....but the TFR IS NOT around this airport..
It is in the most beautiful part of Texas (I am biased, I went to college a
few miles north), is home of the worlds largest water park
(Schliterbaun...Sp?), many antique shops.  The World Famous "Greune Hall"
(pronounced Green)....you know the place....John Travolta did his angle
dance there in the movie "Michael"...it has been in several other movies as
well), the busiest recreational river in the US (the Guadalupe) and many,
many other things for you, the S/O, friends and family to do.

AND....from the last report I got yesterday, it has 96 vendors confirmed,
including Vans and Aircraft Spruce among others.  If you have ever been to
the central Texas Hill Country, you may have some insight as to one reason
this may become a premier event....look out Sun & Fun <g>

My EAA Chapter, Chapter 12 from Houston, will be guiding aircraft to
parking...so wave as you go by.

More info can be had at http://www.swrfi.org/default.htm

If you don't already have plans for mid-May.....I think this would be worth
you time.

All the best,

Chris
Houston