REFLECTOR:Flying without Cowl Fasteners

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 21:43:09 -0700

At 08:16 PM 4/21/03 -0600, you wrote:
>I'm thinking about changing to longer screws and possibly attempting to
>replace the nuts in the nut plates.  quite a few of them do not squeeze
>the screws very tight.

You can re-ovalize them with a pair of vice grips once or twice before you
replace them, if you are gentle about it.

>Or figure out a way to use captured 1/4 turn fasteners as it should have
>been designed in the first place.

There is a (very expensive) way to do it.  They make adjustable camlock
receptacles - but they are $$$$.  Use them on the inside of the cowl
lip.  Use camloc studs that are all the same length and are not captured -
you don't put the split washer on the inside.  When you undo them with the
1/4 turn, you remove the grommet and camloc stud from the fuselage lip
entirely, and put them in your pocket.  Then pull the cowl.

If you put one in and DON'T turn it, it will depart the airplane - but so
will a regular, "captured" camloc if you don't turn it and lock it down.