REFLECTOR:Flying without Cowl Fasteners

Scott Derrick reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 20:16:21 -0600

I may resort to that temporarily.  Locktite is not an ideal choice for a
fastener that is R&R regularly.  It builds up and you end up with a
gummy mess on the nut and screw after awhile.

I'm thinking about changing to longer screws and possibly attempting to
replace the nuts in the nut plates.  quite a few of them do not squeeze
the screws very tight.

Or figure out a way to use captured 1/4 turn fasteners as it should have
been designed in the first place.

Having the propeller behind the aircraft requires a different approach
to fasteners because any that come loose will most certainly go through
the prop.  With a tractor configuration you just want enough to stay
fastened so major components donut depart the airframe!

Scott