REFLECTOR:NOS

Scott Derrick reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 08:52:08 -0600

Summer is approaching and once again I am considering ways to decrease
the inordinately long takeoff runs at high density altitudes. Density
altitudes are rising past 8,000 ft around here during the day and will
approach or exceed 10,000 fairly regularly in July/August.

Most of the problem is during takeoff though go arounds can be interesting.

My engine is a 200HP B2B IO360 Lycoming.

My options as I see them in order of expected initial cost.

1.) N2O System.  This is at the top of my list.  Only to be used for
high altitude takeoffs. Controlled to maintain less than 100% of rated
horse power, kinduv a NOS Normalized System. The only moving parts being
two solenoids to control N2O and gasoline flow.  The lowest cost of all
the solutions, though there is a continuing cost of N2O replenishment.

2.) TurboCharger. The good news about this modification is it is usable
in all flight modes. The bad news is its a major modification with many
additions of high wear parts.  I would only be really interested in a
Turbo Normalized installation, is there one for a 360 Lyc?

3.) Constant Speed or Inflight Adjustable Pitch Prop. This was at the
top of my list but cost is outrageous for a CS prop on a 4 banger Lyc
pusher. I think MT is the only option and that means about $8000.  Good
news is its a proven prop, and no ongoing costs like N2O.

4.) Bigger engine.  This is last and not really being considered.

Any comments? Been there done that?

Scott