REFLECTOR:Flying without Cowl Fasteners

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 07:48:21 -0700

I know this is only slightly applicable, but it's a datapoint.

At one time we were flying the Berkut prototype this way.  We were using
very stiff carbon cowls and thought the wing interface camlocks were all we
needed.  At speed, the lower cowl (pressure side) balooned up
significantly, and cracked in many places.  Fortunately the forward edge
didn't come all the way out from under the fuselage lip, or it would have
become a scoop, increased pressure and departed.

I know the non-pressure side doesn't have the same amount of force on it -
but as it tapers toward the spinner, there's significant lift on it, trying
to pull it outward.

I'd stick with screws and nutplates.