REFLECTOR:Flying without Cowl Fasteners

Scott Derrick reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 08:31:53 -0600

Is anybody actually flying without cowl fasteners where the cowl meets
the fuselage?

The plans call for a lip extended rearward from the fuselage that the
cowl slides inside of.  Screws(through the fuselage lip) and captured
nuts(on the cowl) are then installed about every 6 inches along this
overlap.

Some ,all non-flying or not-tested I guess, say they are not using any
screws?  Merri says he has built a U shaped slot instead of just a lip
for he cowls to slid into so he doesn't have to use screws.  This sounds
  doable and secure.

I'd really like to reduce the number of screws(uncaptured) used to hold
the cowl on since they have a tendency to come un screwed during flight
and put large nicks in the prop.

I'd also like to use something that has some flight hours on it.

Scott