REFLECTOR:Considering alternate engines

texasattorney.net reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 10:08:51 -0500

I am not sure about the prop, but I THINK the IVO will work.  I have only
seriously researched and made a decision on the rotary in the last few
months.  So there are still specifics I need to work out once the specific
engine choice is made...such as the best prop for the 13b N/A, or turbo or
Renesis. The Reduction drive may be different for the Renesis (Tracy Crooks
site mentions he is developing a different reduction drive for the Renesis).
>From what I understand there have been some issues with the IVO at higher
sustained RPM's.  But I also saw discussion that they may have been worked
out.  I am still quite a way from needing an engine (even though I bought a
core for "research/play").  I am hoping the Renesis will become available.
The guy at the Mazda place I got the engine was surprised I wanted the
Renesis, since it was sooooooo expensive new (I have been told about
$6500.00 US$).  Until I enlightened him on the cost of a new...or used
aircraft engine. "Oh".

As to alternates to insurance.  In a typical lawyer fashion.....it depends.
There are steps you can take that limit your liability (depending on state
and your specific needs, desires and circumstances, please contact local
counsel).  This does not replace your plane (different theories exist on
having funds to repair damage, of which I am not yet well schooled) and if
you hurt someone or something, it does not help the party injured (actually,
with certain planning, the injured party may be SOL). But these steps
require planning and follow through and have cost.  Insurance is the easy
way, but becoming such a pain/expensive or just not available.  This
planning would not be as viable if insurance was not becoming unobtainable.
So if you only want to limit your personal liability and any one you hurt
may be screwed, there are things that can do this.  They are not perfect,
but neither is insurance.  Liability insurance is there to HELP those you
hurt...some of this planning is to help you avoid financial loss. Hopefully,
frivolous actions from others can be avoided and/or minimized.  Some feel
since you have a plane you must be rich and can afford to pay for perceived
wrongs.  States vary...in Texas there is a VERY strong homestead
exemption....unless you don't re-pay your purchase money, aka, mortgage you
can almost never loose you home in Texas...also, statutes prevent the loss
of one car...a couple of oxen, and some other livestock, your dog, your
cloths, a gun (we are in Texas), etc....you get the idea.  This is worse
case scenario protection and, again, vary per state.  More advanced planning
can be used.

THESE STEPS MAY NOT SOLVE ALL YOUR CONCERNS OR NEEDS, they are just some
options to the lack of available LIABILITY insurance and may not work
perfectly or as you had hoped. Asset protection techniques may be much
better than nothing, but those folks you really did injure due to your
mistake or accident, may be left out in the cold. Some of this planning is
better with insurance and is used as a backup when insurance is inadequate
or denied after the fact (not all that uncommon)  This is a much more
complex topic than can be competently discussed via email. Sorry about that.
Some of the planning may not have been economically feasible compared to
cheap insurance.  When you find cheap insurance, let us know.  FWIW.

YMMV.

All the best,

Chris
Houston