Transponder Ant. was Re: REFLECTOR:anntenas

Chris Martin reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 17:12:30 -0700

Scott,

I also had a transponder mounted inside of the outside strake. Poor
reception by ATC. I moved it to the floor of the fuselage underneath the
retract gear and offset to the co-pilot side. I used a small 3" Transponder
antenna mounted on a 8" square aluminum plate. The antenna pokes through a
hole in the floor of the fuselage and the backing plate is attached to the
floor with 2 pop rivets. The cable attaches with a B & C connector. This is
the only antenna I have that is visible outside the plane. Only 2" actually
is visible. The ATC has no problem seeing this antenna transmission, really
excellent results. I recentally added the Garmen GTX 330 Mode S Transponder
with TIS (Traffic Information Service). This displays traffic on my Garmin
430 moving map. I can recieve the TIS information within 500 feet of the
ground. So, this new antenna is not only transmitting well but is receiving
well.

For those of you that live in a high traffic area, (I live in one of the
busyest, Los Angeles). This TIS information is a wonderful aid. I strongly
recomend it.

Chris Martin
Velocity XL RG