REFLECTOR:anntenas

Wayne Lanza reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 08:48:04 -0400

--Apple-Mail-26-891123904

  Regarding the antennas, our experience at the builders center points=20=

to the following:
 > Transponder ANT =3D between the firewall and gear bulk head, on =
center=20
line. DO NOT
    put this ANT out in the strake, many transponders don't like to=20
drive this much wire!
 > GPS =3D on top of the landing light or on top of the canard, keep =
this=20
wire under 8' long.
 > Marker Beacon =3D Inside or outside of the keel, or on the floor near=20=

the keel. Locate
    the foil such that you don't tear it up when upholstering or=20
mounting the seats...
 > Glide Slope =3D On the floor under the copilot front seat area.
 > AM/FM =3D Not too critical, string a 23" piece of the ANT wire =
(center=20
conductor only)
    across the under side of the structure in front of the canopy. Make=20=

sure that the pitch
    trim spring doesn't interfere.
 > ELT =3D Mount the ELT to the floor between the gear bulk head and the=20=

keel bulk head
    on the copilot side. Run two 23" foils on a diagonal centered at the=20=

fuselage joint, the
    angle of the foils is such that they are fairly straight (they might=20=

wrap onto the ceiling).
    This is not super critical, but this antenna should be vertically=20
mounted not horizontal!
    Use the torroids and connect the coax braid to the lower foil.=20
Secure foils, torroids and
    the end of the lead in coax with 1 ply of bid. This needs to be=20
shock/impact secured.
 > ADF =3D I've heard of them :-)

  In general, use the correct type of coax (not TV wire or solid center=20=

conductor), use the
proper BNC terminals and appropriate tools. Keep the coax runs short=20
and secure.

Fly Safe,
Wayne Lanza
Composite Design, Inc.
(electrical weenie at the Velocity Builder's Center)
On Friday, April 11, 2003, at 06:37 AM, Lynn Gallup wrote:

> [...]

> to a particular VOR frequency. (Leakage of nav's IF frequency signal=20=

> out of the localizer antenna overcomes the satellite signals.)
>
> Mine is a hatch door, long wing, RG. The antenna locations are:
>
> Com antennas - In the tip sails.
> Nav antenna - One shared antenna on top of fuselage about four inches=20=

> forward of engine bulkhead.
> Marker beacon antenna - Along right side about two inches below=20
> windows.
> Transponder antenna - Bottom of fuselage below right rear seat.
> ADF antennna - Bottom of fuselage below left rear seat.
> Localizer antenna - On canard top surface, center-line of fuselage.
> GPS antenna - Front of canard top, centered. Forward of localizer=20
> antenna. It should be remounted under the top of the fuselage above=20
> the localizer antenna.
>
> Regards,
> Lynn
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> At 11:46 PM 4/10/2003 Thursday, you wrote:
>
> =A0
> Now that it's finally starting to warm up, I'm doing the planning for=20=

> my summer project... The wings / canard.
> I realize that antenna placement is variable, But...
> What do I really need? Do I need a Com and Nav in each wing?
> Where's the best place for a glideslope antenna. The keel was already=20=

> down when I got the kit.
> I assume the transponder would be best on the floor, and the gps on=20
> the ceiling.
> What about something for the am/fm?
> I've seen Don's elt antenna on the main wingspar shearweb, and it=20
> looked pretty survivable.
> =A0
> What's popular / what's practical
> =A0
> Noel 3suv103

--Apple-Mail-26-891123904

 Regarding the antennas, our experience at the builders center points
to the following:

> Transponder ANT =3D between the firewall and gear bulk head, on center
line. DO NOT

   put this ANT out in the strake, many transponders don't like to
drive this much wire!

> GPS =3D on top of the landing light or on top of the canard, keep this
wire under 8' long.

> Marker Beacon =3D Inside or outside of the keel, or on the floor near
the keel. Locate

   the foil such that you don't tear it up when upholstering or
mounting the seats...

> Glide Slope =3D On the floor under the copilot front seat area.

> AM/FM =3D Not too critical, string a 23" piece of the ANT wire (center
conductor only)

   across the under side of the structure in front of the canopy. Make
sure that the pitch

   trim spring doesn't interfere.

> ELT =3D Mount the ELT to the floor between the gear bulk head and the
keel bulk head

   on the copilot side. Run two 23" foils on a diagonal centered at
the fuselage joint, the

   angle of the foils is such that they are fairly straight (they
might wrap onto the ceiling).

   This is not super critical, but this antenna should be vertically
mounted not horizontal!

   Use the torroids and connect the coax braid to the lower foil.
Secure foils, torroids and

   the end of the lead in coax with 1 ply of bid. This needs to be
shock/impact secured.

> ADF =3D I've heard of them :-)

 In general, use the correct type of coax (not TV wire or solid center
conductor), use the

proper BNC terminals and appropriate tools. Keep the coax runs short
and secure.

Fly Safe,

Wayne Lanza

Composite Design, Inc.

(electrical weenie at the Velocity Builder's Center)

As near as possible, I followed the suggestions in the Velocity
manual. After 185 hours flying my airplane in a wide variety of
circumstances I can pronounce perfect operation of my nav & com
radios, localizer & glideslope, marker beacon receiver and
transponder. Even the ADF works acceptably although its range is a
little short. The GPS would benefit from shielding or a slight
relocation as it will blank out if one of the nav receivers is tuned
to a particular VOR frequency. (Leakage of nav's IF frequency signal
out of the localizer antenna overcomes the satellite signals.)

Mine is a hatch door, long wing, RG. The antenna locations are:

Com antennas - In the tip sails.

Nav antenna - One shared antenna on top of fuselage about four inches
forward of engine bulkhead.

Marker beacon antenna - Along right side about two inches below
windows.

Transponder antenna - Bottom of fuselage below right
<underline>rear</underline> seat.

ADF antennna - Bottom of fuselage below left
<underline>rear</underline> seat.

Localizer antenna - On canard top surface, center-line of fuselage.

GPS antenna - Front of canard top, centered. Forward of localizer
antenna. It should be remounted under the top of the fuselage above
the localizer antenna.

Regards,

Lynn

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

starting to warm up, I'm doing the planning for my summer project...
The wings / canard.

I realize that antenna placement is variable, But...

What do I really need? Do I need a Com and Nav in each wing?

Where's the best place for a glideslope antenna. The keel was already
down when I got the kit.

I assume the transponder would be best on the floor, and the gps on
the ceiling.

What about something for the am/fm?

I've seen Don's elt antenna on the main wingspar shearweb, and it
looked pretty survivable.

</smaller></fontfamily>=A0

practical

</smaller></fontfamily>=A0