REFLECTOR:Re: PROBES

Wayne Lanza reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 31 Dec 1969 22:01:23 -0500

--Apple-Mail-2-956226137

Hi Tom,
  I have been monitoring your posts and can tell you the following about=20=

the probes.
The CHT probes are apparently the resistive types, probably from=20
Aerosance. They
are basically thermistors and are not sensitive to wire type or length,=20=

cutting them
is not a problem. If you mount the BM box n the back of the airplane=20
they will be long
enough to reach the connectors with out extensions, I would just coil &=20=

stow the little
excess that you'll have. The EGT's are type K thermocouples that should=20=

be used
with type K extension grade wire, using non extension grade wire will=20
work OK but
expect errors of up to 25 degrees C. This is not a critical issue to=20
most pilots who
know how to use the EGT for leaning and with the equipment that you=20
have, will still
be more accurate than most of the certified instruments in use...

Your latest post queried the use of 1/8" capillary for the MAP sensor -=20=

no problem!

Best Regards,
Wayne Lanza
Composite Design

On Monday, Feb 23, 2004, at 19:32 US/Eastern, Tom Martino wrote:

> Don=92t call me stupid ... but my resistive type CHT probes that mount=20=

> onto bayonet adapters at the base of my cylinders are too long.=A0I=20
> don=92t recall them coming in shorter lengths.=A0Can they be trimmed?
>
> =A0
>
> =A0
>
> =A0
>
> =A0
>
> =A0

--Apple-Mail-2-956226137

Hi Tom,

 I have been monitoring your posts and can tell you the following
about the probes.

The CHT probes are apparently the resistive types, probably from
Aerosance. They

are basically thermistors and are not sensitive to wire type or
length, cutting them

is not a problem. If you mount the BM box n the back of the airplane
they will be long

enough to reach the connectors with out extensions, I would just coil
& stow the little

excess that you'll have. The EGT's are type K thermocouples that
should be used

with type K extension grade wire, using non extension grade wire will
work OK but

expect errors of up to 25 degrees C. This is not a critical issue to
most pilots who

know how to use the EGT for leaning and with the equipment that you
have, will still

be more accurate than most of the certified instruments in use...

Your latest post queried the use of 1/8" capillary for the MAP sensor
- no problem!

Best Regards,

Wayne Lanza

Composite Design