Re: REFLECTOR: Details, details

At 8/18/99, you wrote:
>5. I am thinking of putting some sort of a ominous-sounding buzzer in the
>cowling that is turned on as a prelude to starting up (as a saner
>alternative to "CLEAR PROP") to warn anyone that may be too close in that
>area. Any ideas on what would work AND last in the cowling and is not too
>annoying? It would be nice to also have some visual indication (blinking
>light) that the prop is about to start for those that cannot hear. I am a
>little bit paranoid about starting an engine smack in my blind spot. People
>that are already flying may have some perspective on this. If $%&@ can
>happen, it will.

My thought on this one is that since there is no need to close the doors
before starting the engine (no prop blast) there's no reason not to get out
and take a look.  Complete your pre-start checklist, hop out and make sure
there's no one close enough to make it over to your prop in the next 10
seconds, then get back in and start up.  If you've got a passenger they
could do it for you.

I buzzer might just attract attention rather than act as a warning.  Maybe
a megaphone :-)  "Step away from the aircraft, and the propeller is about
to start turning!"