Re: REFLECTOR: Fuel Drains

First, the assumption is being made that water will not be able to find its way down a 3/8" line that has fuel in it without flow. Has this been shown to be true?

 Any amount of flow would cause the water to go through the line to the sump tank.  When you add fuel to one tank; the level differential between tanks will cause flow to/through the sump tank; thereby trapping the water in the bottom of the sump.  Always fill the second tank to a level higher than the first.  In topping off, this will happen whether you like it or not unless you're filling both tanks simultaneously.  And one might expect that if water is coming from the fuel source; it would come at the start of filling.

You might consider taking more than one sample from the sump after refueling.  If you're still concerned; after filling fuel, startup and taxi a bit (do a figure 8); then re-check the sump drain.

Or maybe the easiest; go lift up on one wingtip; then the other, before checking the sump drain.  This will ensure the water gets to the tank exit, and cause some flow to get it into the sump tank.

That's my sample cup's worth on the subject.

Al Gietzen