REFLECTOR: Two Breaking System questions

This may have been hashed before, but I need to know a general consensus of
opinion....

1)  Does anyone have an alternate parking break idea, rather than the $80-90
Matco in line device?

2)  Another idea I have been contiplating is that for those who would like
to  trim less of the gear leg, I contacted Matco regarding switiching the
"upper" bolt around so that the bolt head is next to the gear leg rather
than the nut and threaded portion(less heigth/depth)  and they gave their
blessing.  It is then possible to saftey wire the nylon nut (couldn't the
calipers get hot enough to melt the nylon?) to the adjoining safty wired
bolts.

Thanks for you imput

Bill Huene