REFLECTOR: N1QR comes alive.

With 3 Velocity builders watching, a Velocity and Cozy in the pattern,
and a Long-EZ builder buffing his clear coat for Oshkosh, N1QR fired up
within 2 seconds. Clint Spooner said afterwards, "It sounds like a
Franklin!". To me it was so smooth and sounded like "Harley". Idling at
850 rpm, oil pressure was 81-83 psi. We ran it for 4 minutes and Jack
Davis says "There is a very small oil leek." I shut the engine down and
tighten up the oil pressure sensor. I had another problem, upon engine
start, the EGT reading became very erratic and the EGT "00" on RMI
Engine Monitor. I ran the engine again for another 11 minutes. At about
1150 rpm. Oil temperature settled in at 43C, pressure 79 psi. I cycled
the MT prop on the McCauley governor. We did not observe any change in
prop pitch. Without CHT readings, we decided to call it a day. Clint
declaring it 95% successful.

Several hours later, back at the airport, the EGT and CHT are normal. I
suspect that because I bundled the EGT & CHT probes together with the
spark plug wires, and running the probe leads through the firewall very
close to the mags, I upset the RMI Engine monitor. Plus, the electric
fuel pump would run because it wasn't grounded, so a ran a temporary
wire
between the pump ground and the probe shielding.

Simon,

I too have removed the glass stiffener, and replaced it with 5 carbon
BID. Also, the top stiffener. 35% of the cowling has been redone to
eliminate the 4 dips in the cowl an allow more air to exit.

Carl

P.S. I haven't ridden a bike in 35 years, since I spent 6 days in the
hospital, while learning to fly in Hawaii