REFLECTOR: Re: JFK jr

Dave Black wrote:

> It's true he could not have sunk a Velocity. But I suspect he'd still have
> been killed by the impact. "Spatial disorientation" accidents are rarely survivable.

With full aft stick a STD Velocity will spiral but can be recovered with top rudder
while full aft stick is maintained.  The LW or XL wing has a tendency to self level as
minimal speed is reached preventing even a spiral.  I never known of a Velocity being
spun.This is why Burt Rutan liked the EZ design.

Correct there is no substitution for training and experience related to limited
visibility but the stability and stall/spin resistance of the EZ type is a great help.
I know because  I have glided a Velocity down to water impact, through 5000' of solid
soup, with no gyros and definite orientation problems.

If John K. had been flying a fiberglass Velocity instead of a conventional spam can
there is a very good chance he would still be with us today.  So far the only public
knowledge of our safer design is the loss of John Denver.  The number of lives EZ's have
saved is impossible to document and muted by mister Denver's uncommon accident.

Research on how to design and build truly safer personal aircraft has progressed at a
snails pace.  Hopefully the tragic losses of our friends and star personalities will not
go in vane.  Hopefully more will join our ranks to develop GA aircraft that utilize the
safer technologies we now have.

Alan Shaw