REFLECTOR: Re: Speeds in Velocities.

Fellow Builders,

At the outset let me say I have over 400 hrs. flying in Mooney's along with a
couple of hundred hours in the usual training planes like Cessnas and Piper
Warriors.

I can tell you that having flown the Factory Velocity first and a ride in one
here and there (along with other experimental planes) I selected the Velocity
because TO ME it handels not unlike a Mooney (a high performance aircraft) in
many respects - especially in the landing and to a degree in the take-off
phases of flight.

Like with any high performance aircraft, it takes the ABSOLUTE self
dedication to procedures as the high performance aircraft are designed to
higher & precise flying technics simply because of the characteristics and
the power of the planes.

A Mooney, regardless of weather conditions will, if the speed is not hit
PRECISE on the #s, float for ever in a day in ground effect and will eat your
runway footage at a sickning rate. Even if the speed is nailed to the wall
one can end up floating for some time if the flair is not initiated at the
precise moment above the ground or if at THE precise critical moment IN TIME
there is gust, a left over vortex from a heavy airliner on the parallel
runway (drifting over to your runway) or even a thermal effect of coming over
the #'s from a grass skirt or over a body of water - to the hot pavement.

I had to take 12 hours of dual instruction in Mooneys before the CFI would
sign off my log book so I could be insured flying Mooneys.

Short of learning the hard way in your respective Velocities I can only
strongly suggest to those interested and for those with no or limited
experience in high performance aircraft to get, by whatever means required, a
couple of hours of dual flight instruction flying a Mooney (201 or 205), in
the right hand seat, and only traffic pattern work, and have the instructor
demonstrate to you the effects that non - procedure speeds on high
performance aircraft will have on your flight - especially on landing. You
WILL see the light.

I know, that, even though I have the experience in high perfomance aircraft I
will take the Factories suggested 10 hour dual instruction on Velocities (not
unlike airlines do when one of their pilots switches from a DC9 to MD80 -
both simular aircraft but yet vastly different) and I intend to follow up on
the occasional refresher course.

John Leder
XL RG (N203SM to be ) and in primer