BOUNCE reflector@awpi.com: Non-member submission from [Larry Terrill <lterrill@home.com>]

>From michalk@sisko.awpi.com  Sat Jul 17 07:13:49 1999
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 07:13:43 -0500
To: reflector@awpi.com, MSREE3@aol.com, rlflade@us.ibm.com
From: Larry Terrill <lterrill@home.com>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Velocity, Accident at Santa Monica, KSMO

These are not the two only reasons planes crash. I thought Ray was
far too kind in his response in the face of uninformed, dangerous,
and irresponsible speculation. For Ray, this is a life-changing
event. The lost of his aircraft, the possible loss of his life and
that of his wife's, and possible significant legal and financial
penalties.

When the dust settles, Ray's performance as a pilot may be
questioned, the performance of his aircraft may be questioned, or it
may be concluded that both worked perfectly and some other component
of the 'system' was at fault.  The reasons are certainly important to
all of us. But that hardly gives any of us a ticket to start placing
blame on the basis of an half-page preliminary accident description.
I have found far too many on this forum coming to the defense of
Velocity design and blaming the pilot before all (any) of the facts
are in. It is not good for the Velocity aircraft, the company, or its
pilots and builders. The Velocity will only become a better aircraft
when EVERY incident is examined completely, without bias, and
careful, informed conclusions are drawn. Some of the entries in the
today's AD list made it there by that very process. Without that
process we would all still be flying, or preparing to fly, dangerous
aircraft.

I believe this can be a valuable forum to discuss these incidents, to
the benefit of all Velocity builders and pilots. I only ask that we
keep the speculation in check and stick to the facts. I really don't
mean to flame Jack personally here. That is not my intent and my
apologies to Jack in advance if he takes offense. I mean this in the
most constructive way possible. But this is representative of some of
statements I've seen in the past in this forum after an incident.
They are damaging and benefit no one.

The best thing that can come out of Ray's misfortune is a piece of
knowledge, unknown all before, that prevents this from ever happening
to anyone again.

Larry Terrill
N21WV

--
Brian Michalk  <http://www.awpi.com/michalk>
musician, home-brewer, entrepenuer and SINGLE!