REFLECTOR: N19DW Accident Update

I am 95%plus convinced an air leak in left fuel cap allowed air to be
evacuated from left tank at a rate greater than vent line allowed air in.
This condition created a vacuum sufficient to prevent fuel from flowing by
gravity to sump tank. This appears to be the only possible explanation,
since no defects could be found anywhere in vent system, fuel pumps,
filters, screens, fuel spider or fuel servo. Yet 9 gallons of fuel were
removed from sump and left tank after the accident.(Vacuum would disappear
after accident and allow fuel to fill sump tank and engine to start) Later
I applied a small pressure to left tank and soap bubbles showed fuel cap
had an air leak. The Velocity factory is working with the NTSB Investigator
on my accident and they hope to do an in flight test to duplicate this
condition within the next couple of weeks.
REPEAT WARNING to all Velocity pilots. MONITOR FUEL TANK LEVELS CAREFULLY
IN FLIGHT . ASSUME LOW TANK AND SUMP TANK ARE YOUR ONLY USEABLE FUEL. An
unusual difference in fuel tank levels, probably means a fuel cap or vent
problem.
STRONGLY RECOMMEND.THE LOW FUEL WARNING SYSTEM FOR SUMP TANK. If all else
fails you have some warning of remaining useable fuel.
See you at Oshkosh.    Don White