Re: REFLECTOR: N19DW Accident, Probable Cause

Simon,

> The new venting systen, introduced several years ago, connects the two wings.

I thought so. I built mine that way although it was not in the plans at that
time.

> However, I have myself observed a worrying difference between the two
> gauges and was unable to find a reason. The difference was not the same on
> every flight and sometimes there was none.

If it is caused by a leaking fuel cap, I suppose completely covering both caps
with shipping tape would make them airtight. This is obviously a Band-Aid
solution, but if it eliminated the uneven flow it would provide further
evidence the fuel caps are indeed at fault.

> I'll replace the cross-feeding vent lines with 3/8" ones (i.d.!) - at least. I
> don't think I can bet my life on sealing the fuel caps each and every time.

I think you have the right idea. At least it couldn't hurt! I will upgrade
mine as well.

Best,
Dave Black
SW RG TopDoor