REFLECTOR: Velocity Accident N19DW

About 10am on Tues June 15 th, I was about 10 miles west of St Lucie
Florida at 1500ft when I suddenly lost fuel pressure and engine power. I
turned to St Lucie airport and turned on boost pump. For a couple of
minutes power returned then started loosing again. I called St Lucie,
declared an emergency and they gave me straight in 14. About 4 miles out I
knew I could not make it, so told them was attempting to land on Interstate
95 going north. Was at 80 kn, gear down and lining up between cars.
Suddenly, straight ahead were 5 or 6 big wires. I pulled back on stick but
one wire caught nose gear and another the windshield.The wires catching
airplane caused it to rotate nearly 180degrees in mid air. Plane then
slammed down hard on road surface GOING BACKWARDS. The strong Velocity
structure protected me very well. I have one bruise on right arm where the
flying handheld GPS hit me. Also a slight back strain which I am convinced
could have been a serious back injury if not for the TEMPERFOAM in the
bottom of the seats. Wires were not live and no cars were involved.Airframe
is probably a total loss.
Two theories on cause: Blocked fuel filter or mechanical fuel pump
failure.If blocked fuel filter, STRONGLY RECOMMEND, all Velocities recently
flown or with original fuel filter, CHECK AND/OR REPLACE YOUR INLINE FUEL
FILTER BEFORE NEXT FLIGHT. Other Velocites, CHECK AND/OR REPLACE INLINE
FUEL FILTER if not done recently. Finally STRONGLY RECOMMEND all Velocities
use TEMPERFOAM or an exact equivilant (NOT ANY REGULAR FOAM) in seat
bottoms. It could save your back and is definitely more comfortable on long
flights
Will report back on Reflector when we find exact cause.
Don White  N19DW  (temporarily grounded).