REFLECTOR: Automatic door locks

Auto lock system for both elite doors:  No doubt I'm not the first guy to
noodle this problem, so there are probably more elegant solutions.
However, if you're interested, I'd be happy to send a drawing attachment,
or submit it to V Views.  I'm off to D.C. on business, but will be back in
a week.  Let me know, and I'll draw one up and send it.  It's about a
3-hour task per door.

I fashioned a lock that engages automatically when the door is shut without
touching the Secondary Lock Pin.   After door handle is pulled (all four
latch pins engaged), the lock pin drops and locks automatically.  What's
great is that this works for both doors, including the pilot side with the
keyed lock.

I had a migraine trying to follow the plans because of the bend in the push
rod.  Due to this bend, the lock housing assembly had to be moved.  (Maybe
I'm a lousy bender, but I couldn't make the plans work).

Serendipity took over and my auto pin lock resulted.   With the bend in the
push rod, I had to relocate the rectangular aluminum "lock stop collar."

Here's a rough, verbal "how to" list:

1) See pg. 11-17 in plans book (my plans book - Doors & Windows section)

2) Ask Velocity to send a second lock housing assembly - not keyed lock

3) Begin by installing the lock housing assembly on the passenger door.
It's much simpler.  Then the pilot door will be much easier.

4) Buy a heavy gauge metal strap from your hardware store - mine is almost
1/8" thick.

5) Cut the strap 2 1/2" long  X  1/2" wide.

6) This strap fits directly on top of the aluminum Lock Stop Collar with
the long end facing aft.  You'll eventually drill a hole in it to accept
the male end of the lock pin.

7) Sight down the hole in the Lock Stop Collar, and note any difference in
thickness.  You want the THICK SIDE as the top.

8) Place the strap on top (thick side) of the Lock stop collar and put it
in a vice.  One end is flush with the left end of the collar, the other
sticks out about 1.5" to the right.

8) Drill and tap two holes through the top of the strap, right through the
thick side of the Lock Stop Collar.  Install two screws to hold the strap
on top of the collar.

7) Slide the Lock Stop Collar with strap installed on the push rod.  (You
may have to sand the push rod so collar fits easily).  Position it about 3"
measuring from the front of the push rod.  (The front is the flat machined
end that attaches to the round latch crank).

8. Pull door handle shut so all four latch pins are fully extended.

9. Assemble the Secondary Lock Pin inside the aluminum Lock Housing, but
MAKE THIS MOD.  Grind the spacer down so it's about 1/2" long, or less.
This allows the secondry pin to rise up higher.

10. Position the Aluminum Lock Housing (fitted with secondary lock pin)
over the extended portion of the strap.  The bottom of the Alum. Lock
Housing should be locate about 1/4" above the strap.  The secondary lock
pin should point directly down on top of the strap.

11. Note that the strap needs to be bent upward about 1/4" so it is flush
with the bottom of the Alum. Lock Housing.

12. Grind a 45 degree angle on the front of the strap.

13. Drill a hole to receive the Secondary Lock Pin.  Make it oversize to
allow pin easy entry.

14. Grind a 45 degree angle on the bottom of the Secondary Lock Pin.  The
45 degree angle faces the 45 degree angle on top of the strap.  Viola!
When you pull the door shut, the pin drops automatically.

15. Line everything up.  With door in locked position, drill and secure the
Lock Stop Collar with the tiny Roll Pin supplied in the kit.

16. Apply structual epoxy on back of alum. Lock Housing.  Rivet the Lock
Housing in place.  Grease everything with silicone grease.

My time's up.  If anyone wants it, I'll do another post on directions for
installing the pilot side keyed lock.  It's close to the same, except the
strap needs to be  1/4" wider so it will engage the pin.  That's because
the Alum. Lock Housing has to be inset about 1/4" inside the foam with
epoxy.  Then, the keyed lock is screwed directly inside the Alum. Lock
Housing.  No room for the retaining screw to hold it in.  I ground a small
alum. slug to hold it in place, and epoxied it on the bottom of the
housing.  You receive two chromed "thingies" that fit on the working side
of the lock.  (Sorry, you locksmiths).  I used the long "thingie" and
ground it so it would raise the Secondary Lock Pin all the way up.