Re: REFLECTOR: Help on brakes?

Dennis Martin wrote:

> I noticed today that the elbow supplied in the factory kit does not fit
> well into the master cylinder. I also remember hearing reports that some
> have leaked  because the hole in the master cylinder is tapered, and the
> brass elbow we have is not.
>
> Can anyone tell me where I can get a proper metric threaded fitting that
> will fit all the way into the cylinder?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dennis Martin
Dennis,

Remember that the cylinder is from a Datsun/Nissan car master clutch
assy.  You can get the correct parts from your local NAPA store. Just
remember it's metric.  Can't remember the size just bring in one of the
cylinders and they can test fit the correct one.  The fitting will come
with a length of steel pipe, that is flared, which is the only correct
way to put it together. No teflon tape no pipe dope. Just a simple
tubing wrench and the correct torque.  There are millions out there
right now driving around.  If you look on the racks in the NAPA store
you can probably locate a straight union to make the junction between
the steel pipe and the plastic brake line supplied with the kit. Again
this connection is identical to the one you make back at the elbow at
the brake caliper.  I did upgrade to Agnew's heavier plastic tubing. One
more thing, if you keep ~6 inches of steel pipe, and use a small radius
tubing bender you can clear the inside of the fuselage wall with the
left brake cyl.  If you have any problems, with the bend kinking or some
thing else send me a note off line.