REFLECTOR: front bearing questions

To all Reflectorites:
   Scott and I have been looking at the front bearing support and are
working on a solution.  One of the problems that any wide area washer
type retainer or the reversal of the bearing in the holder, or even the
replacement of the countersink screws with standard flat head screws, is
that unless the control stick is restricted from being pulled back
further than the full down elevator will allow (26 degrees) the
possibility of a total bearing failure or the attach aluminum bracket
breaking as a result of constant flexing is still an issue.  It would be
my initial thought that the control stick full aft movement should be
restricted by placing an aluminum stop on the keel where the control
stick would normally contact the aft end of the control stick hole when
fully deflected.  On all the airplanes we have built, the total
available movement of the control stick was always determined by the
control stick contacting the fiberglass keel   once the 26 degree down
elevator was reached. This does not eliminate all the loads on the
bearing but does prevent "excessive" loads as a result of the elevator
reaching it's maximum 26 degrees with still another 5 degrees or so of
stick travel available to the pilot.  This added pressure is what can
cause the bearing, attach bracket or screws to fail in time.
   This is at this time just some thoughts on the subject.  We will
continue to monitor the Reflector for answers and solutions to this
problem.
   Sincerely,  Duane Swing  Velocity Inc.