Re: REFLECTOR: cell phones through audio panel

As has been debated QUITE THOROUGHLY IN rec.aviation.piloting lately,
only cellphones operating in the AMPS-band governed by FCC Part 22 are
proscribed from using air-ground communications (with the exception of
GTE Airphone, probably exempted in Subpart H, I haven't looked it up).
All others in the 800-900 MHz band are not permitted to be used as soon
as the wheels leave the ground.

FCC Part 24 is the governing authority for PCS (1900-MHz) and has no
such restrictions.  Some cell-phone and PCS-system employees have posted
the tecnical details why PCS is able to negotiate air communications
better than analog, without any disturbance to communications in the
area, but I don't remember all the details.

Of course, it is still at the PIC's discretion what to allow and what to
not allow on any particular flight, and besides PCS coverage from a
commercial airliner is spotty at best.

Even for private a/c use, some services (such as AT&T) specifically
disallow use in the air (perhaps because all their phones are
dual-band?), while others claim that their service specifically allowed
it.

My feeling is, if you have a PCS-only phone or can lock out analog on
your dual-band PCS phone, that use in a private a/c is perfectly legal,
and if you stick to flight within a reasonable distance of the coverage
areas (usually the Interstate highway system) you might get usable
results.

I haven't tried it yet, but I will.

-john rourke