REFLECTOR: Duct Tape builder's tip

On the subject of Duct Tape... When I stumble across silly simple things
like this, I can't help the feeling that I'm that last one in the world to
figure it out.  But, just in case I'm the second-to-last...

The story:

In all of my (vast?!) experience working with epoxy & fiberglass I've taken
for granted that your basic cloth duct tape was "all there is" for
preparing mating surfaces and such.  A couple of weeks ago while on one of
my materials requisition expeditions I accidentally purchased a small
mountain of PVC duct tape (well it's gray, comes on a roll, and looks and
smells like duct tape, OK?).  When I opened a roll I got a big surprise
because it's obviously very different.

Here are some of my observations:
* PVC tape costs about the same as cloth
* PVC tape sticks to glass/epoxy surfaces as well as cloth
* PVC tape doesn't leave that awful glue/cloth residue on parts
* Parts separate the same with both types of tape
* One can work with PVC tape with latex gloves on (try that with cloth!)
* PVC tape seems to go around sideways corners easier than cloth
* PVC tape is thinner, (really handy sometimes for closer fitting joints)
* Like cloth tape, PVC tape comes in designer gray (for the fashion
conscious)

If you haven't tried it, you're in for a treat.

Cheers,

Joe Stack
983SC/XLRG