Re: REFLECTOR: Re: Auto engines

> A point of interest to those of you contemplating installing V6 engines.
>
> AVEMCO will not write insurance policies for Velocities with auto engines.
>
> Mark Teter
> N98TF   173RGE

Is that for "in-motion", or "not-in-motion"?

I'm fairly young, and still quite stupid, so someone please tell me where
my logic is flawed.

Seems to me the best insurance is "not-in-motion".  The next
best would be in-motion liability.

Basically, the first one covers you for things that happen
to your bird while it's at the airport sitting pretty.  Along
comes a thundercloud and zaps it.  All radios trashed.  Along
comes someone in a P-51 and flips it over from prop wash.  Along
comes a hangar fire ... you get the idea.  It seems we have
heard of things similar to this on the reflector.

The liability insurance covers you in case you decide to go
down the runway tail end first into a Cessna.  I really
don't know how much liability only costs, and then I would
get the minimum in liability.

If you are rich and have deep pockets, then get all the
insurance you can afford.  If you are sued, hopefully
they will get your insurers money.  If you are not rich,
get as little or no insurance that you are comfortable
with.  Poor people do not get sued.

To me hull insurance seems kind of rediculous.  Put that
money into a bank account instead.  When you ground loop
your puppy, or land gear up or have a prop strike, you'll
have some funds to begin working on it to get it back in the
air.  After all, you built it in the first place, right?

I'm reminded of what happened to the sky diving industry.
I don't remember dates, but some years ago, someone killed
themselves while diving.  The requisite huge lawsuit followed
and the insurance company took a beating.  The result was
that it became extremely difficult to get insurance for
sky diving operations.  Well, people didn't stop diving,
they just kept doing it without insurance.  Guess what
happened?  The accidents kept happening, but the lawsuits
became a lot more reasonable.  The skydiving operations
didn't have a lot of money, and there was no insurance
company to go after, so the lawsuits ended.

Am I missing something here?

--
Brian Michalk  <http://www.awpi.com/michalk>
musician, home-brewer, entrepenuer and SINGLE!