Re: REFLECTOR: oil temp

Hi John, I have drop doors about 1" x 3" on each side of my Lycoming plenum (the
little penthouse area with the angled flat side facing the valve covers.  The doors
are made of kevlar and a small piece of aileron hinge.  Testing with a leaf blower
shows that they will blow close easily since a small bolt limits them to the
vertical position when open.  This will vent the plenum and convection should do
the work.

To get air out of the top cowling a constructed a 10" wide 1/2" high 12" long
protrusion that starts about 2" aft of the cowl cut line and is shaped like the
Star Trek symbol.  The front is a rounded point and the rear has an inverted V
shape.  Underneath are a series of holes totaling about 5 sq. in. and far enough
forward that you can't see them.  All sides but the rear gradually slope down and
fair into the cowl so drag should be very little.

Jim

--
// James F. Agnew