Re: REFLECTOR: Franklin Carburetor

>Today I tried to hang my Franklin engine on the factory engine mount.

Hi, Don!

I don't know if there is a "correct" way. I turned my carb around 180 deg.
That makes your mixture control face aft and the throttle towards the
starboard side. I think the factory has the mixture on the backboard side
and they have an awkwardly long (imho) bolt from the rod end to the lever
perpendicular to the force.

My setup allows for a smooth installation of the cables. The throttle cable
does a wide 180 under the front end of the oil pan.

I have found two drawbacks: one minor - the nuts are very hard to get in
and out. I had to make a special tool for the right front one. Eventually,
you get the hang of it. The second problem is potentially dangerous: In my
case (exhaust forward) there is almost no way to keep the throttle cable
far enough from the exhaust to keep it cool. What could happen is that the
plastic in the housing gets soft and molds around the steel cable. Then
when you throttle down, it cools and freezes the cable. With firesleeve and
some odd routing I got rid of the problem.

I have a couple of pictures that I can mail to you if you wish.

Good luck!
Best
Simon

Simon Aegerter, Winterthur, Switzerland