Re: REFLECTOR: keeping warm

Voss, Jim S. wrote:

> Hi.  I'm Jim Voss, a new member of the Velocity reflector group.  I built a
> Long Ez and am a partner with Merri Sanchez building a Velocity in Houston.
> We are working on the fuselage now and have read with interest all the
> discussions on oil coolers and heating.  I have an electric heater (500 watt
> "Back Seat Heat" model) in my Long Ez just in front of my feet.  It doesn't
> do a great job but it provides just enough heat to keep my feet from getting
> cold.  I still have to use a blanket over my legs if it is below freezing.
> Upper body isn't a problem unless it is really cold.  I think the best
> answer is still sealing the front end, but no one seems to have the complete
> solution there.
>         Has anyone thought about the increased load on the engine oil pump
> due to the long lines going to the front of the airplane?  That is my only
> concern with the front installation.  I would hate to lessen the lubrication
> to the engine just to help keep my feet warm.
>         The car seat warmers sound like a great idea.  Here in the heat of
> Houston I have considered a similar thing, but for cooling.  At NASA when we
> work in a space suit in a lab where we don't have normal suit cooling we use
> long underwear with tubes sewn into it which are  hooked to a small igloo
> ice chest with icy water in it.  A battery powered  pump circulates the cold
> water.  I think the same thing using a seat pad with tubes in it would work
> well.
>         I look forward to sharing ideas with everyone.
> Jim

Hi Jim,
I'm a surgeon and we wear cool suits with 3 mm silastic tubes sewn into
the vest and leggins for cooling.  Works very well.  I likewise have
plans for electric seat warmers and cool pad in seat running ice water
from 1/2 gal cooler with hand squeeze pump such as on an outboard motor.
Thanks,
Rene' Dugas
Monroe, La.