Re: REFLECTOR: fuel shut off - What are the scenarios

In a message dated 2/23/99 7:14:34 PM Pacific Standard Time, HadleyAir@aol.com
writes:

<<
 Let's see, multiple $ for a valve (just one more link in the chain of things
 to go bad down the road) or $1 for a plug for the fuel line during the once
in
 a blue moon I would disconnect the line for fuel servo / pump maintenance.
 Hmmmmmm?

 Sorry, the best reason you've heard is still not a good enough reason for me.

I don't know about any one else, but I have a gas collator between the sump
tank and the boost/engine fuel pump (maybe my A&P side talking, but if the
system has worked for years in certified AC, why change it.)  It is connected
to a remote drain outside under the back seat to drain fuel and sediment
during each preflight and refueling.  On the input side of the collator is a
ball valve (full flow) for use during such things as opening up the collator
to replace and inspect the screen during each conditional inspection (annual),
and removing the servo.  It is wired "ON" and has come in handy several times
for maintenance.  Just like the RBH will do when you have to remove the
canard.  I don't have the RBH and am probably to lazy to add it on my flying
machine, along with messing up the paint (if it ain't broke, why fix it)?  But
wish I did every time I have to take the canard off.  Sure you don't NEED a
shutoff valve, but I am glad I have one.  In my business, flammable
environments are to be avoided at all costs.

I hope that when you disconnect the metal fuel line fitting from the fuel
system to "plug" it, you are using brass tools and grounded.  No one is that
fast to prevent spilled fuel in the work area.  I known of more than one
person who has passed on working on flammable things and not taken the proper
precautions.

TEC