Re: REFLECTOR: Fuel system safety

At least one that I'm aware of and it was fatal.  How many fires does it take to
ruin your day?

An engine fire in a rear engine aircraft is much harder to detect and shutting
down the engine will not stop the fuel flow if the propeller is windmilling.  In
the case of the Franklin equipped Velocity with its low carburetor even stopping
the prop will do you little good since Simon has proven that the fuel will
continue to flow due to gravity.

Fire safety is a personal thing and you must determine what level you are willing
to implement.  I personally believe that a fuel shutoff at the sump tank outlet
goes a long way toward eliminating a lot of problems.  FireSleeve is a must on
fuel and oil lines in the engine compartment.  On the cabin side of the engine
bulkhead it is up to you.  I chose to go with the AeroQuip SS/Teflon lines.

Keep the following in mind, a fuel shutoff valve is a lot like a sea cock on
boats.  Most people never close them and when a hose brakes then the valve doesn't
work.  You must exercise them often to keep them in working order.  I have posted
several times the model I used which is electrically controlled.

Jim

--
// James F. Agnew