REFLECTOR: Fuel system safety

Not that I like raising tough and uncomfortable questions; but something to
consider:

This fuel shutoff/no fuel shutoff debate still bothers me.  On certified
airplanes emergency check list for a forced landing is always "turn off main
fuel supply"; hopefull to reduce the likelyhood of a serious fire.  One of
the major causes of serious injury or death after a crash is fire.  Is our
rear engine composite fundamentally different in its fire hazard?

A shutoff valve between sump tank and engine would reduce the risks of
sustained fire aft of the engine bulkhead.  But, of course, we have fuel
lines and a fuel tank inside our cabin.  What precautions can/should we take
to reduce hazard of a fuel fed fire after a crash?  Should we use only
metalic fireproof lines?  Does firesleeve over any flexible neoprene line
help the situation.  Does a shutoff valve at the exit from each main tank
make any sense?  How do we fireproof the sump tank?

It seems like some creative thought to these questions might have some merit
in risk reduction.  Perhaps others who have thought this through can shed
some light.

Thanks

Al Gietzen