REFLECTOR: kerosene

>>>        Kerosene...... A local Recreational Aircraft Assn. (RAA)
>>> homebuilder did his stuff in his barn within which he installed
>>> insulation materials and kerosene heaters. His project called for
>>> several layers of epoxy/glassfibre and were well and truly applied per
>>> design specs.
>>>
>>>        Several years later, turning final in the circuit at Hamilton
>>> Intl., the aircraft was seen to dive to the surface, all hands lost. The
>>> Board of Enquiry determined that serious delamination had occurred in
>>> the lifting surfaces which led to a fatal loss of control. This was
>>> incurred by the use of kerosene heat appliances. Apparently these often
>>> deviate from correct settings and a fine mist of unburnt kerosene is
>>> wafted throughout. An anethema to proper curing of epoxy, the undetected
>>> kerosene sealed the fate of the aircraft years before its first flight.
>>>
>>>      Anyway, that's our local experoence with the stuff. Caveat ember.
>>>
>>> Happy Landings,
>>> Ferg
>>
>>The Aircraft Rotary Engine Newsletter.              Powered by Linux.

This info has me concerned I have a kerosene heater in my garage in
was bought new last year . I keep the garage door open a bit to keep the fumes of the
epoxy and the carbon dioxide levels low.but you can still smell the fumes.
I have never heard of this before has any on else .My thoughts are do I stop
the building and redo all the work .God I hope not. Or is this a very rare accident with little
chance of duplication.
    I do sand all lay-ups completely between all application.my be from now on I will use a
cleaning solvent on all parts before every lay-up. But I do think a new heater my be on
order anyway .

 Also does any on else notice that after sanding the glass it turns a shade of green
in the sanded area . And alpha poxy turns more yellow. this happens over time .

Ron N34CV