REFLECTOR: Elite FG nose area layout

The picture below is the forward side of my canard bulkhead and may give
you some ideas on where & how to mount things.  I'll start from the top
left and go left to right with the descriptions.

1) The small gray two terminal block is actually the "stay alive" plus
12 volt connection for
electronics that require a constant power source for their memories
(e.g., clocks).  The back side is
hollowed out and contains a 1.5 amp solid state circuit breaker.  Note
the very short wire coming off the battery side of the Master Relay.

2) Directly below item # 1 is a 1 1/2" turned and flanged aluminum pass
through for the cabin air.
The pass through is installed with metal construction adhesive to
maintain as much of the strength.

3) Look closely at the Master Relay and directly below it is the Starter
Solenoid.  Since I do not want a hot plus 12 volt 2 gauge wire running
all the way to the engine I place the Starter Solenoid close to the
Master Relay so the only time that the starter cable is hot is during
starting.  For those of you with Franklin engines I suggest that you do
the same and just connect the starter mounted solenoid directly to the
starter cable, it is worth the piece of mind especially in a crash.
Since the Starter Solenoid case must be grounded you can see that on
each side of the Master Relay and Starter Solenoid there are 1/8" x 3/4"
copper straps connecting the mounting brackets.  These strips act as the
central ground system.  On the left side, the main battery ground cable
is attached to the starter/engine main ground cable via two 5/16" brass
bolts and nuts.  The lower bolt has the nut on the front side of the
canard bulkhead and the upper bolt has the nut on the backside of the
bulkhead.  The upper bolt is the ground pass through to the instrument
panel.  Two 10-32 bolts on the right side strap act as auxiliary ground
points and pass throughs.  Note that the power from the Master Relay is
directly connected to the Starter solenoid by a copper strip covered
with red heat shrink.  This eliminates two terminals and the connecting
wire with their possible failure points.

4) Looking closely at the Master Relay right side connection you can see
the blue heat shrink.  This
encloses a 1500 watt bi-directional 18 volt transient voltage
suppresser.  I use these (and 600 watt)
versions on all relays and motors to kill the high voltage spikes.

5)  The large black terminal strip is the canard forward main ground
buss and is sized for a maximum of 30 amps.

6) The two blue silicone hoses (one with a red band) are the pitot &
static lines.  I used two double
ended 1/4" hose barbs installed with metal construction adhesive into
the canard bulkhead as pass
throughs for the lines.  I will have no hoses or wires going over the
canard except for the canard trim motor.

7) The silver block with blue & brass fittings in the lower center of
the bulkhead is the parking brake valve.  The master cylinder cylinders
feed into the blue fittings and the nyflow lines come out of the brass
fittings and go through the canard bulkhead inside of larger Nyflow
tubing ducts run inside the keel all the way back under the spar.

That's about it except for the main battery and the oil cooler outlet
duct.  Not shown in the picture but located forward of the duct is a 10
amp hour sealed motor cycle backup battery.

Jim

http://www.awpi.com/michalk/pics/jagnew12.jpg
--

// James F. Agnew