REFLECTOR: Re: Ailerons do produce side thrust

Jim, you are talking about the aileron torque tubes coming out of the
wings?  That's what Nate was referring to.  I just checked mine, they
are also cut very closely, about 1/16" from the bearing, but there is no
detectable lateral throw on the torque tubes through the full range of
aileron travel.

If there is lateral movement, you are right that that would be an
extremely good reason to have a retaining collar for the bearing, more
than just a couple of screws.  But I'm still not sure why yours moves
laterally and mine don't.

-John R.