Re: REFLECTOR: Bearing AD

At 08:28 PM 2/3/99 -0500, jpr@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>As a matter of fact, I'm just putting in the rear bearing bracket in a
>few days, and discovered that I, too, have the countersunk screws.
>Looks to me like it would make the perfect ramp for the bearing to ride
>over and past the retaining lip.

YES, my thoughts exactly!  On the aft bearing, even if there is no axial
force by design, maybe some would develop somehow/someday (Murphy), and the
bearing would start to vibrate out of the bracket.  I dunno, but it was
fast and easy to add the washers, so I did.  Took less time than reading
all the e-mails on this subject!

>My front bearing bracket has the round-head screws which look like
>they'd work much better - except that one of them is canted off to the
>side (so was one of the rear screws too).
>
>Your idea of 7/8" washers under each screw is probably better, but it
>still doesn't "look right" to me, and there would still be some side
>load.

The washer is, to me, an acceptible improvement.  The screw is still
"canted", but not as much as before, because the edge of the washer
contacts the bracket, helping resist any further canting or bending of the
screw.  Try it, you'll see what I mean.

Of course, a fully concentric collar would be best, but "is the view worth
the climb"?  Your choice, and my $0.02.

Pete.