Re: REFLECTOR: coaxial cable

Ron,

> I am having problems finding the exact cable know wicks carries it
> but do not want to weight.
> The cable is RG58 c/u cable will RG58 non Plenum cable be ok .
> I found it at MC master  carr and I can get it tomorrow.
> Radio shack only carried RG 59 would that also work?

Important items in cable selection:

Impedance: 50 ohm. Hence RG58 rather than RG59.
Signal loss per foot: Lower is better. 3dB of loss = half your signal.
Shielding braid: 100% is perfect. 95% is acceptable.
Center conductor: Must be stranded! Solid conductor will fatigue and
    break in a high-vibration environment.
Weight: Bigger, heavier cable typically has less signal loss.

For the comparatively short lengths of coax we use in aircraft, signal loss is
not a big issue. Thus I'd suggest RG8X (Belden 9258) coax. Don't forget to
order the proper connectors for whatever cable you choose.

Since coax cables are a radio item, not an aircraft or hardware item, I'd
recommend buying from a radio store such as HAM RADIO OUTLET. (800)854-6046.
They ship from the store nearest you.

Best,
Dave Black
SW RG TopDoor